FOOD MASCOTS COME OUT TO CELEBRATE THE LAUNCH OF
August 18, 2005 - SIMCOE COUNTY - The Simcoe County Farm Fresh - "Buy Local" initiative has been officially launched to assist local residents of Simcoe County in finding locally grown fruits and vegetables. The first tool developed is a new website www.simcoecountyfarmfresh.ca with information on local road side stands, country stores, farmer's markets and pick your own farms; highlighting 70 locations to find locally grown food.
The farming community is encouraged by the local project. Pauline Chappell of Chappell Farms explains, "Farm Fresh Simcoe County will make is easier for local residents to find local food. Everyone benefits if more people eat locally."
Research undertaken by the Committee have noted several advantages to eating locally:
- The average meal travels 2,500 kilometres to our plates.
- It takes 400 times more energy to ship lamb from New Zealand than to buy local lamb.
- What we eat is responsible for 20%-25% of Canada 's greenhouse gases: 10% used on the farm, the other 90% goes into packaging, transportation and marketing.
- Every $1 spent on local food generates more than $2 in local business.
- Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating recommends we consume 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Fruit and vegetables can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and offer protection from some cancers. Canada 's Food Guide to Healthy Eating recommends 5 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruit every day, yet two-thirds of Simcoe County adults don't consume the minimum of five servings daily.
Simcoe County Farm Fresh initiatives highlight the health, economic, environmental benefits of purchasing local food. This is demonstrated by the diverse representatives on the newly-created Farm Fresh Committee including: The Environmental Network, Centre ecologique de la mer-Douce, Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario -Simcoe County, Centre for Business and Economic Development, Good for Life, North Simcoe Community Futures Development Corporation, Nottawasaga Futures, Orillia Community Development Corporations, Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition, The Province of Ontario ( Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ministry of Tourism), Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, Simcoe County Nutrition Task Group, Simcoe County Federation of Agriculture, Southern Georgian bay Chamber of Commerce.
For more information: Jamie Smyth at 526-7884 or firstname.lastname@example.org